What is Argan Oil
is extracted from the kernels of the argan tree, which grows in the sandy semi-desert soil in Morocco. Traditionally, argan oil has been used as a dip for bread, as a dressing on couscous and salads, and it has also been used as a treatment for skin
diseases. Argan oil contains high levels of vitamin E (tocopherols), carotenes, antioxidants, and essential fatty acids. It is also be more resistant to oxidation than even olive oil (an oil renowned for its relative stability).
Benefit for the Skin
The unique combination of antioxidant and moisturizing properties in this oil can help to maintain skin elasticity while preventing moisture loss that can contribute to the aging process. This oil can make the skin look softer while limiting the appearance of stretch marks, under eye circles, burns and wrinkles as well and damage from smoking, pollution or harsh sunlight. It can help to regulate sebum so the skin will not look greasy and manage the body’s pH so the skin will be less likely to become irritated.
Benefits for the Hair
Applying argan oil to the hair can make it look healthier by preventing frizz and split ends. It can make the hair look shinier and eliminate limp tresses by hydrating the roots and strengthening the hair, making your hair more manageable. This can help to reduce the risk that outdoor activities or styling will break or damage the strands of hair. Argan oil provides a high dose of fatty acids that can make brittle hair stronger and improve the protein structures without adding a sticky, oily component to the hair
How to use Argan Oil
1. Face Moisturizer - After cleansing morning and/or night, massage a few drops of argan oil directly onto your face and neck. Since argan is considered a dry oil, it absorbs quickly and is not greasy. If you want to use it as a serum, apply your night cream after the oil absorbs into the skin.
2. Hydrating Toner – Add a few drops of argan oil to your favorite facial toner to hydrate and tone simultaneously. You can make your own toner by adding a few drops of argan oil to Rose or Orange Blossom water.
3. Rejuvenating & Brightening Face Mask – Add a few drops of argan oil to your store-bought mask. Alternatively, make your own mask by mixing 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 3 teaspoons of Greek-style yogurt, 1 tablespoon of honey and 3 drops of argan oil in a bowl. Apply on a clean, dry face and leave on for 10 minutes. Rinse off with warm water.
4. Exfoliating Lip Scrub and Moisturizer – To smooth and moisturize your lips, add a few drops of argan oil and vanilla extract to fine brown sugar. Lightly massage into lips using circular motion and rinse off.
5. Face Glow – Add a drop or two of argan oil to your foundation, bronzer or tinted moisturizer for a dewy, luminous glow.
6. Leave-on Conditioner – After the shower, while your hair is still wet, add a few drops of argan oil to your hair, ends and scalp to hydrate and moisturize. It’s especially nourishing if your hair is dry from daily use of a blow dryer, straight-iron or curling iron.
7. Hair Styling Shine – When your hair is dry, use as a styling product by adding a few drops of argan oil to the palms of your hand. Rub your hands together and run your fingers through your hair to create shine and tame frizz. You only need a small amount. It lasts a long time.
8. Overnight Hair Treatment – Massage a generous amount of argan oil into your hair, ends and scalp. Wrap your hair and leave it on while you sleep. In the morning, wash your hair and you’ll have luminous, soft locks.
9. Cuticle and Heel Softener – Massage a few drops of argan oil into your cuticles to soften, moisturize and encourage nail growth. Use as an overnight treatment to nourish cracked heels by working a good amount into your feet and toes. Cover with socks and wake up to supple feet.
10. Body and Bath Oil – Add a few drops of argan oil directly onto your skin, into the bath or body lotion. It’s safe to use on a baby and to help minimize stretch marks on a pregnant belly too.